Baking has many benefits from weight loss to improvement in mental health, let us read about some of them.
Who doesn’t love a slice of freshly baked vanilla cake or some good chocolate-chip cookies, but we hesitate on eating it because of its high sugar content. Baked items from bakeries and factories have lots of chemicals, preservatives, and high sugar content. But market frauds are not the only reason to start baking, it also has many other advantages; here are some of them:
1.Baking has a calming effect
Many psychologists say baking is a stress and anxiety buster but Why? Let us find out-
Distracts The Mind– Stress baking is a perfect distraction for the mind as it gives a sense of control and satisfaction. It requires complete focus and attention of the mind. Procrastibaking makes one focus on the smaller tasks at hand while doing something productive.
Repetition is calming- Repetitive motions involved in baking like whisking, kneading, and mixing have a calming effect on the mind like a therapeutic massage.
Stimulates the senses- The smell of vanilla essence, cocoa powder, and whatnot, just fills us with pleasure, doesn’t it. They also possibly bring back some good memories like birthday parties, anniversaries, etc. This allows the brain to produce endorphins which makes one forget why they started baking in the first place. Also, baking stimulates creativity.
2. Excuse To Exercise
Whisking, kneading, measuring, lifting, stretching, and cutting are just some of the activities involved in baking. Sitting at home, exercise and workouts tend to take a backseat as we all go into our ‘lazy-bones modes’. Baking not only has a good motive( DESSERT!) but it also gets one involved in other activities like doing the dishes, mopping, etc.
3. The Way Into Peoples’ Hearts Is Through Their Bellies
- Improve relationships- A small gesture of kindness goes a long way. Baking somebody a cake or a batch of cookies isn’t a big task for you, but it will touch their hearts instantly. Share whatever you have made, not only with your family but also with your neighbors and friends.
- Brings everyone close- Baking together is a great way to spend quality time with your family, kids, and even friends. Yes, baking is a great activity to do with your friends at a sleepover, trust me it is a lot of fun and one gets to show off his or her cooking skills. It is a fun and delicious way to teach kids household chores like cleaning, cooking, etc.
- I am sorry- Baking someone a cake is also a great way to ask for forgiveness!. To show that you are truly sorry, they don’t have a choice now do they?
- Don’t eat it all alone- You don’t plan on gobbling up everything, do you? Sharing will help you keep your sugar intake in check.
Oh God! That was a lot of benefits but hang on we are not done yet.
4. Escape From Market Frauds
- The problem- A study conducted by SCE found out that 84% of the bread sold in the market including pizzas and burgers have cancer-causing chemicals like potassium bromate and potassium iodate. Local bakeries and eateries have low hygienic standards plus they use low-quality ingredients to cut down on their cost. Good and renowned bakeries in return are too costly for someone to eat freely. The downsides of processed goods like biscuits, bread, and chocolate have already been explained to us thoroughly enough.
- The solution- Baking at home seems to be the only cheap, healthy, and hygienic way. Downsides- Time-consuming, I agree that it requires patience, effort, and most importantly time. But, hey I am sure that we all can take out one hour a day at least.
- Changes we can make-
- Use jaggery and honey instead of sugar
- Whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose flour.
- Decrease the number of fatty substances like oil, butter, and cream.
Baking has lots of benefits and is a great and productive hobby for sure. This article’s purpose is to only suggest to start baking, whether one wants to or does not want to it is his or her own wish.
Is it only me or all this talk of dessert is making everyone’s mouth water too? I am going to go right now and bake something delicious, you should too.
Let us end with this quote
“Stressed is just desserts spelled backwards.”