This article is going to discuss 2 reasons and consequences of obesity amongst teenagers which everyone must know about.
Worldwide obesity has nearly tripled since 1975. It isn’t just a surface problem, corpulence increases the risk of critical health problems like heart disease, cancer, etc. As confirmed by a study done by WHO, it kills more people than underweight.
2 Main Causes of Obesity in Teens
Obesity has a lot of causes ranging from eating habits to sleeping patterns. Let’s take a look at 2 of these major reasons today:
- Lifestyle of Human Beings
First and foremost is lifestyle. Lifestyle plays a major role in development of obesity among young teenagers. With time, we keep developing different habits that directly or indirectly affect our body. The 3 major habits of our lifestyle which contributes to the weight gain are:-
- Eating Habits- We all know we should eat healthy food but do we know what time, how often should we eat it? The answer is we should not eat many meals in a day. According to Ayurveda, one should not have more than 2 meals a day. Also, we should avoid eating early in the morning or late in the night. These 2 simple tips have surprising effects on weight management and contribute to withdrawing of obesity.
2. Physical Exercise- Getting involved in physical exercise is crucial. One hour of rigorous training per day is more than enough. Sport, yoga, and cycling are some interesting ways to keep yourself fit.
3. Sleeping Patterns- Sleeping late and waking late is said to have lots of effects on body weight. Following the body clock is important, one must get proper rest and sleep. Other than weight management, waking early has lots of good effects on mental health as well.
- Social Life & Mental Health
Surprisingly one’s social circle and mental health have a major effect on obesity. According to a study, socially active people tend to live a long, happy, and healthy life. Anxiety, stress, and tension not only cause weight gain but also increase risk of high blood pressure, diabetes, and joint pain.
2 Main Effects of Obesity on Teens
Obesity has a lot of side effects especially on young people, let’s take a look at some of them.
- Psychological Consequences
Obese teenagers are more likely to be teased and picked on, this results in low self-confidence, abolition of social life, and depression. Excess body fat puts lots of pressure on the heart thus, it becomes tiring to even do normal activities. This leads to the generation of laziness and inactivity. They also tend to feel neglected, lonely, and socially withdrawn which has a deteriorating effect on their mental health.
- Physical Consequences
Corpulence can cause pain and dizziness. It also decreases the body’s stamina and immunity. Obese people are at a higher risk of diagnosis such as –
- Heart diseases
- High blood-pressure
- High level of cholesterol
- Liver related problems
So, to conclude it is important to understand that taking care of your health is a simple process, a few hours of hard work daily will prevent lots of trouble. Take care of your and your family’s and friends’ health by following a few simple steps daily.
“Take care of your body. It’s the only place you live in.”-Jim Rohn